Creditors of troubled consultancy Edward Briscoe Design have issued a petition for the firm to be wound up.
The winding-up action in the High Court is due to be heard on 24 March. It comes a few days after a defiant “business as usual” pledge by EBD and its new owner Mainline Promotions.
Mainline acquired the firm in November from founder Ted Briscoe, who resigned from its board last month claiming a lack of promised support from the new owner (DW March 5).
Although EBD said it anticipated no job losses following the resignation of Briscoe and financial director Roger Marsden, Briscoe claims that a number of staff were released on 1 March without being paid their February salary. He describes their treatment as “disgraceful”.
EBD spokesman Doug Walker says that in the wake of Briscoe’s departure, one member of staff left the company and three others were suspended pending an investigation into alleged gross misconduct. With reference to money owed to staff, Walker says there are “issues that remained to be cleared up”.
EBD has pledged to appoint a new chief executive. Walker says there is a chance the company’s name will soon be changed.
Meanwhile, Briscoe has said he will be re-entering the industry.