The BBC has trimmed down its design roster, as part of an overhaul of its design suppliers, Design Week can reveal.
The new roster has been split into three categories across brand strategy, brand identity and marketing communications.
Across brand strategy and identity, consultancies The Partners, Lambie Nairn, Red Bee Media and ad agency Fallon have retained their positions, with new appointments including 35 Communications. Wolff Olins is no longer on the roster.
These groups have been contracted to work with the broadcaster for an initial period of two years, plus two further extensions of 12 months each at the BBC’s discretion. They are expected to work across positioning and architecture projects, that will involve creating brands and corporate identities for the BBC’s various services, formats and media.
Within the marketing communications category, Elmwood, 999, Blast and Red Stone have been retained, with Start Design absent. Those on this roster are expected to work on projects including annual reporting and reviews, tactical posters, postcards and leaflets campaigns, events and exhibition materials, product packaging, consumer publications and information design, internal publications, newsletters and in-house copywriting.
New appointments to this category include Studio Output, Love Creative, D8, Harriman Steel, Designate and Inferno.
At the same time, Red Bee Media has announced that its chief executive Pam Masters, who oversaw its transition from a division of the BBC to an independent, international group, is to step down. She will take on the newly created role of vice-chairman at Red Bee Media from January.
The corporation’s previous, 28-strong design roster was put together in 2003. The BBC is thought to have received as many as 242 applications as part of the latest review, which started last summer.
New design roster
• Brand strategy and brand identity: 35 Communications, Fallon, Lambie Nairn, The Partners, Red Bee Media
• Marketing communications: 999, Blast, Designate, D8, Easy Tiger, Elmwood, Harriman Steel, Inferno, Love Creative, Premm, Red Stone, Studio Output
Former design roster
• Digital marketing: Agency Republic, i-Level/Dare, Modern Media
• Major strategic projects and identities: Attik, Fallon, Lambie Nairn, Red Bee Media, The Partners, Wolff Olins
• Mid-range tactical projects: 999, Blast, Blue Source, Clinic, Elmwood, Mainframe, Mind the Gap, Natural, Red Stone, Start Design, The Chase, Tullo Marshall Warren
• Small-scale tactical projects: A3, Premm Design, The Farm, XAB